Saturday, 27 November 2010

Past Inglories

Like one of those horrible "found footage" handycam films like Blair Witch or Cloverfield, a pre Christmas clear out in my loft uncovered a terrifying nightmare. And like in "Ring" I'm sharing it with you to spread the pain and get some closure...

For twenty years now, I have enjoyed dabbling with comedy both as a stand-up and a scriptwriter. For a whole afternoon in the early nineties, it actually looked like I might be able to make a career out of it. But only the sort of career that doesnt provide any kind of living wage. 

Anyhow...when up my loft, I found a recording of myself and my good mate and comedy partner Ray Mitchell performing. I dont miss stand-up all that often, but I do miss Ray...for your questionable viewing pleasure...here we are...



With stand up, I've always quite enjoyed the fact that people are very surprised when they find out I used to do it; however this is partly based on the false premise that stand-up is a hard thing to do. Being a good stand-up is a hard thing to do...but  I was only ever average and so it was actually a piece of bun. One thing I did have going for me though was novelty value, I first started doing stand up in clubs when I was fifteen years old...this perhaps explains my subsequent exam results. However I was quite literally gobsmacked last week, when someone sent me a wee link. STV have been uploading all their old TV programmes, and in the early 90s, I was filmed for a programme called The Funny Farm and it is now on youtube. If you didnt like the first clip, I really wouldnt bother with this,  its basically me doing my best impression of Woody Allen (obviously before Woody Allen would have been considered an inappropriate role model).

Time, time is unkind and retrospectively the funniest thing about these clips is quite possibly my haircut or massive comedy glasses...but I definetly did have a laugh at the time. Every comedy club has open mic spots for people to go up and have a shot...you owe it to yourself to give it a go at least once. You'll probably die horribly and feel awful about yourself...but that will instantly put all your many other problems into perspective.